Research for Parishes and Archdiocesan Offices and Organizations
Requests from offices, parishes, and organizations within the Archdiocese of Mobile are given priority for research in the archives.
Sacramental Records needed for reception of another sacrament or for an annulment
All records of sacraments are kept in the parish where the sacrament was administered, with the exception of closed parishes and the early Cathedral records. Requests for these records should be made directly to the parish in question. We will try to assist those who do not know which parish to call or in cases of closed or combined parishes.
General Historical Research
The archives are available to researchers outside the archdiocesan organization ONLY by written request, which will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Use this form to request permission—print and mail.
The archives staff responds to written requests to perform limited historical research at an hourly rate. These are also evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Genealogical and Family History Research
The archives is CLOSED to genealogical and family history researchers at this time.
The records for the Cathedral parish from 1704-1739 have been published and are available for purchase by mail. Until more of our records are published, the archives will try to honor requests for individual sacramental information as staff/volunteer time is available.
- Make each request in writing using this form —print, fill out as completely as possible for each record requested, and mail.
- There is a $10 fee to search for each sacramental record requested. This is for the search, so it is payable regardless of whether we are able to find the record.
- Please mail all forms with payment for the total number of requests.
- We can only supply the information contained in the sacramental record (translated where applicable), not an official certificate and not a copy of the original entry.
- We will not honor requests for research of general family lines.
Books About the Archdiocese
|A History of the Archdiocese of Mobile, by Charles E. Nolan||$30|
|Sacramental Records of the Roman Catholic Church of the Archdiocese of Mobile, Volume 1, Section 1, 1704-1739 [Baptisms Only], Leather Binding||$50|
|The Soul of a House: Bishop Michael Portier House, by Mrs. Anna B. Crow||$20|
|Mobile’s Cathedral: 1850-2004||$30|